Earth Sciences Computer Lab Reference Sheet
1) Clone Monitors: There are three monitors on every desk. The two outside monitors are the display for their corresponding computers. The middle monitor is a “clone” of the instructor station. This allows for a personal display from which the students can more easily follow the instructor. There are two possible settings for these monitors. They can clone the instructor station, or the computer on the left side of the desk can change the input to use dual monitors. The two ways to toggle the input are:
A) Right click the desktop, select “screen resolution,” and under multiple displays select
“Duplicate these displays” on the instructor station to clone.
“Show only on desktop one” to turn cloning or extended displays off.
“Extend these displays” for the use of two monitors.
B) When looking at the monitor, on the far right, click on one other monitors buttons. When the options pop up, select “Menu” and then “Input.”
Select DVI-D to default to the clone
Select VGA to default to dual monitors.
2) User Accounts: Users can log in using their DuckID’s (@uoregon.edu). Class users will have pre-mapped network folders. In Computer, go to the Cas-Labs-Classes folder. Select the appropriate class and three folders should appear.
- Student Data: is a users personal space on the network. All personal work should be saved here.
- Class Data: is the instructor drive. This is where the instructor will place assignments, class documents, and data sets. This folder is read only for students, so file must be copied to the student data folder before using it.
- Shared Data: is for collaborative projects with others in your class. Anything saved here can be accessed, altered, or deleted by all other users in a class.
The following network pathway can be used to map the network folders from other locations and computers. If off campus, a VPN client connected to the UO network is necessary. Cas-fs2Cas-labsClasses should give access to all three folders.
3) Contact Information