How to Apply
The application for Fall 2018 will become available during the first week in October 2017. The application deadline for receipt of all materials (please see list below) is January 1, 2018.
To prepare for the Fall 2018 application cycle, please consider the following:
- Take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam). The GRE General Test (verbal, quantitative, analytical/writing) is required of all applicants. Applicants should take this exam no later than December 1st to allow time for the official results to arrive by the January 1st application deadline. It can take up to 5 weeks for us to receive results, even for the computer test. Please plan accordingly, as we do not receive electronic scores. The University of Oregon code is 4846 and the code for the Department of Earth Sciences is 0504. Both codes must be used. DO NOT use the “UOregon CSDCAS” code – your scores will never reach us!
- Take the TOEFL (international applicants only). Foreign students for whom English is a second language must have their TOEFL scores sent directly to the University of Oregon. The University of Oregon requires a minimum score of 575 for paper-based test or 88 for the Internet-based (iBT) version or 7.0 for the IELTS exam. Please have official results sent to the University using Code 4846.
- Assess your interest in our professors. While completing the online application, you will select up to three Earth Science professors whose research is of particular interest to you. To help with this process, please look over their websites to learn about their research interests and read some of their publications. See our Faculty page and follow links to individual websites.
Required Application Materials for Fall 2018:
- Complete the Online Application. You do not have to complete the application in one sitting. You can continue to work on your application until your payment is made or the January 1st deadline passes. When you submit the application, a $70.00 non-refundable fee is required (credit, debit, or e-check). Once submitted, you can return to your application to view the receipt of your letters of recommendation and official GRE scores.
- Personal Statement. Upload a 1-page statement in which you describe your objectives in applying to the graduate program in Earth Sciences at the UO, your preparation and skills, your personal and academic accomplishments, your scientific interests, and your goals for the future. The statement provides the opportunity for you to inform the admissions committee about any intangibles not represented elsewhere in your application. If there are specific faculty that you are interested in working with, you are encouraged to identify them in the statement.
- Three letters of recommendation. The online application requests contact information for each reference (name, position, institution, email). References will receive an email from us inviting them to fill out our online reference form and upload their letter of recommendation. Throughout the application process, you can return to your application to view which letters have arrived.
- Transcripts. Upload as a PDF degree transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. You must also send official degree transcripts from all colleges/universities to:
Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1217
- Official GRE scores. Request that ETS send official results to us. Please give ETS both the Institution Code 4846, and the Department Code 0504. Results must reach us by the deadline. It can take up to 5 weeks for us to receive results, even for the computer test. Please plan accordingly as we do not receive electronic scores.
- Official TOEFL scores (international applicants only). Request that ETS send official results to Institution Code 4846. A minimum of 88 on the IBT exam OR minimum of 7.0 on the IELTS exam is required by the University of Oregon.
For information about the Earth Sciences Program or the application process, please contact:
Phone: (541) 346-4669